Information for international couples who wish to get married in Australia

To get married in Australia…

Australia has so many beautiful places to get married in Australia it will be hard to choose just one!You do not need to be a resident of Australia to get married in Australia.

The same process and conditions for marriage apply to visitors and Australian residents alike.

According to Australian law, marriage is legal when:

  • it is between a man and woman;
  • both parties are unmarried; and
  • both are over 18 years of age.

To get a quote for my services, please use my contact form and send me details of your ceremony, including the number of guests. When you’re happy to proceed, here is what to do next…

Step 1: Book me!

You can pay your booking fee (AU$250) via the PayPal button below. Please let me know your

  1. Preferred wedding date, time and location,
  2. Nationality (if your documents are not in English and need translation, additional fees apply),
  3. Anything else you want me to know.

Date / Time / Location
Nationality/ Other Information

Once I’ve received your booking, I’ll send you an invoice for the balance, and “next steps”, to ensure your wedding in Australia is legal, problem-free, and enjoyable!

 Step 2: Fill in the paperwork

To proceed with your paperwork, please download a copy of the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) from the Attorney General’s website. Fill it out and sign it in the presence of an authorised person:

  • an Australian Diplomatic Officer;
  • an Australian Consular Officer;
  • a notary public;
  • an employee of the Commonwealth authorised under para 3(c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955;
  • an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under para 3(d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955.

Alternatively, you can sign it in front of me providing it’s more than one month out from your wedding day.

Either way, you must bring the original Notice and give it to me before the ceremony.

Step 3: Send me your paperwork

Send me a signed copy of your NOIM by:

  • Fax +61 8 97 555 902;
  • Scan and email to yesidoweddings (at);
  • MMS a photo to +61 417 937 436; or
  • Send the original via snail mail PO Box 555, Cowaramup WA 6284.

I must receive this at least one month before your wedding. (Remember to pack your original document in your bags!)

Step 4: Give me your paperwork (when we meet)

As well as your original NOIM form, I will also need to see the following original documents:

  • Your foreign passport or birth certificates (if not in English I will arrange to have them translated at cost),
  • Proof of marriage nullity, divorce or death if previously married

Step 5: Look pretty!

Now there is nothing stopping you from getting married in Australia! Simply let me know where, when and what time you’d like your ceremony, and we’re away!

FAQ & Advice

Partner / Spouse visa:

  • If you are marrying because you want a partner or spouse visa, I suggest you investigate the rules pertaining to your situation here.
  • Once you have lodged your NOIM with me, I will write the appropriate letter to the Immigration Department on your behalf.

Is Australian marriage legal in my country?

Most countries recognise marriages conducted in Australia but it’s wise to check with your own government agency prior to departure, to be certain.

Can you organise a Marriage Certificate for me?

  • The official Marriage Certificate is issued by the Department of Births, Deaths and Marriages at a cost of $44. Yes, I can lodge your application form on your behalf, but you must supply your credit card details and fill in the application form yourself.
  • You can have the certificate mailed to you (allow around two weeks from the date of your marriage), or:
  • Go in person to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages at  Level 10, 141 St Georges Terrace, Perth. Their hours are 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays), but their quietest times are between 8:30am to 10am or 2pm to 4pm.
  • Phone 1300 305 021 if any questions.

How do I get an Apostille Stamp?

  • According to the Department of Foreign Affairs, if you need an Apostille Stamp on your marriage certificate, documents can be lodged and collected at Level 17, Exchange Plaza, Sherwood Court, Perth. Counter hours are 9am – 4pm Monday to Friday. No appointment is required. In most cases, documents can be processed in 24 hours (available the next working day).
  • Apostille stamps cost AUD $60 per single-sided one page document.
  • They do have a postal service if you’re not staying in Australia long enough to collect the stamped document. Full details of how to do this are here.
  • For further information please call the Department on +61 8 9231 4499 or e-mail
  • Alternatively, I offer an Apostille Stamp facilitation service for an additional $50 to the fees outlined above.

Apart from then non-refundable booking fee, what other fees are there?

There is “My Fee” which covers the legal paperwork preparation, ceremony delivery, lodgement of documents to the Births, Deaths and Marriages.

This fee varies depending on the complexity of your paperwork. Generally you can expect this to be around the AU$495 mark, although it’s sometimes less and sometimes more based on individual circumstances.

Then there are additional extras charged by other government departments that I do not cover as a Celebrant. You may not need any of these, or, you may need them all. Every couple has different requirements.

  1. You may need to pay for translation of your documents if they are not in English. These must be translated by official NAATI approved translators in Australia. Every translator is different, but  generally cost approx $50 per document.
  2. If one or both of you don’t speak English, you will need an interpreter for your ceremony. Once again, a NAATI approved interpreter is required — contact NAATI direct to get a quote.
  3. If you want an official marriage certificate, this is issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages at a cost of $44.
  4. If you need an Apostille stamp, this is done by the Department of Foreign Affairs at a cost of $60 per page. (The marriage certificate is only one page.) If you need it mailed to you overseas, additional charges apply. Visit the link to find out more.

Do you have other questions? Simply email me via my contact page 🙂

Shine on,
Anita Revel

Leave a Reply